UV Ink Additives – DCPD Hydrogenated Petroleum Resins
In the composition of printing inks, there are often polymers or condensates of some organic compounds. So today we will analyze some knowledge of resin in printing ink:
(1) Solubility and release of petroleum resin. Solubility refers to the ability of a resin to be dissolved in various solvents. In ink manufacturing, resins are generally applied in liquid state, so solid resins must have a certain solubility to be applied. Some resins that are already liquid, also need to be dissolved in a solvent to reduce the viscosity before they can be used due to their excessive viscosity. So solubility is an important property of resin.
Releasing refers to the ability to separate out the solvent from the resin dissolved in the solvent. After the ink is printed, the solvent is separated from the resin, allowing the resin to gel and dry. The release property of petroleum resin is related to its solubility. Petroleum resin with good solubility is not conducive to the separation of solvent from petroleum resin, so the release property is poor. Because the petroleum resin is dissolved into a liquid state and released into a solid state, this conversion form is applied in printing, so the solubility of the resin is required to have an appropriate degree to ensure a good balance between its solubility and release.
(2) Softening point of petroleum resin. The solid resin gradually softens with increasing temperature, increases its plasticity, and then becomes liquid. The softening point refers to the temperature specified when the resin becomes a viscous liquid during the softening process. This temperature is called the flow temperature. The softening point increases with the increase of the relative molecular mass of the resin. Generally speaking, the higher the softening point of the resin, the stronger the release of the solvent. Especially for resins with the same chemical composition, this feature is more prominent. Therefore, the resin used in the ink should preferably have a higher softening point.
(3) The viscosity of petroleum resin. Viscosity refers to the solution viscosity of the resin under specific conditions, or the solution viscosity. The viscosity of the resin is related to the relative molecular mass, solubility, temperature of the solution and the amount of solvent of the resin.
(4) Acid value of petroleum resin. Many resins used in inks are formed by condensation of organic acids such as resin acids, fatty acids, aromatic acids, and other compounds. Therefore, there are some unreacted carboxyl groups in the resin, so that the resin has a certain acid value.
(5) Color and transparency of petroleum resin. The color of the resin is caused by a variety of pigment impurities in the resin, which is related to the nature, purity and synthesis process of the resin raw material. Resins are generally pale yellow.
Transparency is related to moisture and other impurities mixed in petroleum resin. Transparency affects the solubility of resins, and resins with low transparency have poor solubility.
DCPD hydrogenated petroleum resin is mainly composed of dicyclopentadiene, etc. through a special process, under certain temperature and pressure conditions, the low molecular weight polymer generated by the polymerization reaction, after pretreatment, polymerization, hydrogenation, refining and other processes post-production products.
It is white or light yellow, has good viscosity, compatibility, thermal stability and light stability, and can improve the bonding performance of adhesives, and better solve the problems of odor, chroma and stability of petroleum resins . It has good compatibility with esters and polyurethane solvents, and has good compatibility with epoxy resins in ester solvents and has a good curing rate for epoxy resins. It can be used as a modifier and can reduce the cost of coatings , Reduce the shrinkage force of epoxy resin, improve the adhesion of the coating, improve the permeability of the coating to cement and steel, enhance the wettability of the pigment, and improve the leveling of the coating film. It has high softening point and good compatibility. Adding this resin to the ink can play the role of color development, quick drying, brightening, and improve printing performance.
DCPD hydrogenated petroleum resin is mainly used for high-end rubber products, radial tires, racing tires, bias tires, inner tubes and other rubber mixing.
Used in marine paint, nitro paint, alkyd paint, epoxy resin, polyester paint, etc., as well as adhesives, electrical engineering and other related industries.
Used for printing ink, gravure printing ink, copperplate printing ink and other high-grade ink.
Widely used in the structure and decoration of the construction industry, automobile assembly, tires, commodity packaging, bookbinding, sanitary products (sanitary napkins, baby diapers, etc.), shoemaking and other industries.